Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Last Two Weeks

Well, I haven’t dropped off the face of the earth, but I’m sorry it has taken me so long to write. Life was happening- lots of life. For about a week, all I wanted to do when I was online was check my friends’ Facebook pages and talk to my mom. I know that everyone in the world has to deal with the death of a loved one from sickness and the accompanying grief, and I know that many of you who read this blog know exactly what I’m talking about, so I’m not going to go into it much. I would like to say that God put me in a good place with good people whose love helped me so much as I wrestled mentally and spiritually.

This last week, I got physically sick. It started with a little cough on Monday, progressed to a big cough on Tuesday, and was complete with a fever on Wednesday. I had to call in a substitute for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of last week. My fever reached 103.1 during one cycle, but was usually at its highest around 102.5, which is still miserable. At no point during the sickness did I have stomach issues, which was glorious; just sinus yuckiness and that silly fever. By sinus yuckiness, I am referring to the cough that attempted to expel my lungs for a week (it’s still present), and the congestion that was made of solid concrete that filled every nasal cavity I have. Let’s just say that watching me eat was quite disgusting.

My roommates and the beautiful team for which I work were angels during my days out. The Emerson family was on vacation in Lomé and Matt and Dave had taken an emergency trip to Accra; they got back on Friday night, just in time for my return to school on Saturday. Within that time, Nicole subbed for me two days and sent me lunch and movies, Andrea took Asher and I to get malaria tests done in Becky’s car and gave us food, and Becky took the girls grocery shopping and sent me dinner. My beautiful roommates made me food and took out the compost on my days and ate in the room to keep me company while I lay crashing from the fever and watched movies with me and shoved water down my throat... they were great. So, rest assured Mom and Dad- I’m in great hands here!!

On Tuesday night, the day before the fever struck, we had dinner at the Kennell’s house then headed over to Jimmy White’s house for game night. So. Much. Fun! Lisa came, too, making a total of seven people. Lisa and Jimmy are both missionaries on another team here in Kara, and both of them are about to leave on furlough- Lisa for two months, Jimmy for a year. It was wonderful to get to spend some time with them before they left. We played Golf (the card game) and at the amazing cheesecake Jimmy made... oh my goodness, it was so good. For those of you who don’t know, cheesecake is one of my weaknesses, so when Jimmy put it on the table, I was quite happy! I spent the night coughing into a handkerchief and putting hand sanitizer on, hoping to keep everyone around the table from getting my sickness. I would like to point out, that despite being mocked for it all night, IT WORKED!! No one else got sick!!

Most of this post is just an update on my activities of the week, but I want to share a little realization I’ve had recently: playing cards or other kinds of games is vital to my mental health. After our game night, despite my inability to breathe normally, I was so happy and so much more myself than I have been for a while. I love being here and I love the people God has surrounded me with. But I’m never so much myself when I get to play a good game with people and laugh. The competitive part of games is totally not important to me at all- I tend to be quite competitive and I really dislike that side of my personality, so I try to avoid it. However, to play a game with fun people in a fun setting with laughter and love exuding from all is a healing agent like none other.

I’m doing well, on the road to recovery, and full of joy. I get online and have Skype/iChat/Facebook chat in the evenings on Tuesdays, most Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. We are 6 hours ahead of central time in the States, just FYI.

I love you.

1 comment: